Sunday, September 2, 2012

REVIEW ~ INBETWEEN (KISSED BY DEATH #1) by TARA FULLER

Inbetween (Kissed by Death, #1)Series: Kissed by Death #1
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Publication Date: August 28, 2012
Format: eARC
Pages: 400
Source: Received from publisher for review.
Since the car crash that took her father’s life three years ago, Emma’s life has been a freaky — and unending — lesson in caution. Surviving “accidents” has taken priority over being a normal seventeen-year-old, so Emma spends her days taking pictures of life instead of living it. Falling in love with a boy was never part of the plan. Falling for a reaper who makes her chest ache and her head spin? Not an option.

It’s not easy being dead, especially for a reaper in love with a girl fate has put on his list not once, but twice. Finn’s fellow reapers give him hell about spending time with Emma, but Finn couldn’t let her die before, and he’s not about to let her die now. He will protect the girl he loves from the evil he accidentally unleashed, even if it means sacrificing the only thing he has left…his soul.


Inbetween delivers a ethereal, romantic story of enduring love and the unimaginable lengths a boy will go to in order to protect the girl he loves.

First of all...WOW. I reeaalllly enjoyed Inbetween. Author Tara Fuller delivered a beautifully written story that captured my attention and my heart.. From the very first page, I was hooked. The way the story unfolded was smart, with a prologue that takes the reader back in time and sets the story up very nicely. The emotion created within the words forced me to see and know the characters, the emotions that moved across their faces and reflected in their voices. I had no choice but to become emotionally invested in the story.

I loved this world of Reapers and the Afterlife that Fuller created. These Reapers served Heaven, Hell and the Inbetween. These Reapers, complete with Scythes, are hardcore, particularly those who serve Hell. And at this point I have to say that I was sufficiently creeped out by the vision Fuller created of Hell, with it's eternal torment of the damned's worst nightmare. Luckily we don't spend too much time there! The Inbetween is more of a "grey area", a holding area for those whose souls have yet to be determined. And where Finn resides.

And that brings me to the characters of Inbetween. Emma is a human girl who was meant to die, but was given a second chance. A chance given to her by Finn. Finn and Emma have a complicated and romantic history. A history Emma doesn't recall, but has affected her nonetheless. I really liked Emma. She's a true victim of circumstance. She feel as if she's crazy, has been considered unstable for reasons she doesn't understand. And Finn is to blame. I have to get behind a guy who loves his girl so much that he will defy Heaven and Hell to save her. I truly felt sorry for him, to watch the girl he loves, and not be able to be with her. And yet, Finn also upset and disappointed me. I believe in true love, but not at the expense of others, particularly using them to get what you want and take what's theirs. I definitely thought he was selfish at times, but that also made him a character who pulled me further into the story.

Now, I must mention three other characters, two I loved and one I hated. Maeve is a bad, bad soul. She thinks Emma had what should've been hers, and she is hellbent on revenge. Maeve was a great villain because she complicated. She's evil, cruel and does awful things, yet she has a point in her rage. Cash is Emma's best friend and makes every scene substantially more fun. He is so good to Emma, accepts her quirks with a smile and a shoulder. He has his own troubles, yet is always there for Emma. Annnd, Easton. Be still my sarcastic heart. Easton is one of Hell's Reapers and he's good at his job. I loved his dry wit, his up-front demeanor, his willingness to put himself on the line for his friend. I want more of Easton. A whole book of Easton. Someone please tell me Easton will get his own book!

I would have liked the first half of Inbetween to move a little faster. There was a lot time devoted to setting up the characters and their stories. Once the details were set in place, though, Inbetween was so fantastic. I didn't want to put the story down, and it constantly stayed in my thoughts when I was able to set it aside for a bit. The tension consistently rose the further I went and by the end I was reading with one hand on my Kindle and the other on my heart. I was so thoroughly happily with the way the story ended and I can't wait to read the next book!

If you're a fan of stories about love and second chances in the vein of The Catastrophic History of You and Me, then Inbetween will be sure to please.

Favorite Quote:

"Memories pulsed through my mind in blinding flashes as I inched toward the vehicle. Soft-as-satin lips, warm whispers against my neck, smiles like the sun...The pull intensified, like a pounding in my chest, and my knees buckled." (ebook, 1%)

"Sure, she's got problems, but what seventeen-year-old kid doesn't? Haven't you ever read Judy Blume?" (ebook, 7%)

"I stepped closer, so close I could see my shimmer reaching out toward her skin, like metal to a magnet. I never needed to breathe, but now, in this moment, I couldn't stop my lungs from pumping." (ebook, 47%)




You can purchase Inbetween at:
Amazon  |  Barnes & Noble  |  Book Depository

15 comments:

  1. I've been wondering about this book and after reading your review I have to buy it! It sounds fantastic!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also fell for Easton where I read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this book hanging out on my bookshelf & need to read it! I started it; but haven't gotten to finish it yet! I think I will soon though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. *high five* for the Easton love!<3 I loved this story too, it was so beautiful and heart-melting! At some point, I thought that Emma and Finn were a bit too wrapped up in their drama to the point of being selfish and using everyone around them too, but... I don't know, I guess it's understandable, considering their never ending love and all.

    I can't wait for the next book!(I heard that's Cash story; I hope Easton gets his own book too.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been waiting to see your full review, you have me even more excited to start this, now. Great review, hun!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the review, Andrea! Wow. I never thought this was paranormal. I thought it was contemporary! Anyhow, I haven't met this Finn guy, but already, my heart goes to him. The romance sounds like the epic type. And this Easton dude sounds very interesting as well. I think I'm going to love him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review Andrea. I really liked this book to. I wouldn't mind seeing more of Easton and his hot reaper self to :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got this arc as well a few weeks back, started it and then had to push it aside. I just couldn't seem to get into it. I see now, like you said, the first half is very slow. But with your promise that it picks up I'm going to try and continue reading soon. I'm not a big fan of most of the characters but I definitely love Cash as well as Easton. Thanks for the great review & push towards reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really loved this story too. Can't agree with your take on Finn more. Loved the boy but he did make some mistakes in there. I loved the ending and can't wait for the one.

    Great review.

    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to read this! lol its on my tbr list and it just sounds so good. Great review. Thanks for sharing some of your favorite quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you enjoyed this! Not so much for me. I was rather bored but it was cute at times. I did love Easton and Cash!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome review! I really enjoyed this one as well. Cash is my favorite and I cannot wait for his book!

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved this book too!! I felt the same way about Finn. I loved him, but I didn't agree with some of the things that he did. I hope Easton gets his own book too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really want to read this one! Glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been hearing good stuff about this one! And I love past history/part life stuff, which this book seems to have.

    BTW, I love your new artwork/theme on your site. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are bloggy food. Feed me!

Recent Post