Monday, September 5, 2011

Review: The Right Path/Zia's Path, by Debra L. Martin and David W. Small

The Right Path


Abraham"Ham" Jones, a cripple, and Zia Slate, a tomboy with an attitude, find themselves unlikely partners In this post apocalyptic tale of survival. Their lives are irrevocably changed when they encounter a mysterious old man bearing gifts - a cane for Ham and a knife for Zia. Nothing is as it seems and they must fight for their lives when it's discovered they have 2 legendary memory weapons.
(From GoodReads)


Zia's Path (Dark Future Series)

SEQUEL to The Right Path.

In this second novelette about crippled teenager, Abraham "Ham" Jones, and his tomboy partner, Zia Slate, the stakes are even higher. They have agreed to accept the memory weapons from their new guardian, Henry Lloyd, but with the power of the weapons comes the responsibility to follow "the right path." It's suppose to be simple: help one person at a time, but nothing in this harsh world is ever simple. It's a dog-eat-dog world where food is scarce and gangs rule the street.

When Ham decides to go into the worst gang-ridden area of the city to save a little girl, Zia doesn't think it's a good idea. It's too dangerous, but eventually she agrees and the two set off in search of the girl. When Zia goes off to scout ahead, Ham's worst nightmare comes true. Zia is snatched by slavers. Can Ham find out where she has been taken and mount a defense to save her in two days before she is sold as a sex slave?
(From GoodReads)

My Review

I've decided to post these reviews together because, to be honest, I don't have a lot to say about The Right Path and Zia's Path. They weren't bad. I just really don't have much of an opinion at all.

When I started reading The Right Path, I was confused. I felt as if I had started reading the books out of order. The story literally starts in the middle of action. I had no clue as to what was going on. There was no backstory to give me a sense of the characters. I didn't care about them at all. I knew something bad had happened at some point in the past. But What? and When? Even after reading The Right Path and Zia's Path, I still felt no real connection to the characters

Even though I've made clear that I don't think these stories were well executed, I have to say that I don't think the actual writing was bad. The scenes were well-paced, and the flow of the dialogue was good.

I am not trying to be glib, not at all. I don't like being negative when I write reviews. This review was very difficult to write. But, for the stories in general, I just didn't have anything to go on.  Sorry.

6 comments:

  1. I've read a few like that this summer and feel bad that I'm just so "eh" about them, especially if other people rave. But it's all a matter of taste. And subjectivity. And thank goodness the book biz is subjective-gives me hope that while some people may not like my work, others will LOVE it.

    Great post. I appreciate sincerity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The worst reviews to have to write are the books you really love and the books you really dislike! I think you did well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alison- Exactly! I totally agree about books being subjective. I'm glad that my review came across as sincere & not nasty or glib.
    Thanks so much for commenting!

    Mindy- I know what you mean about great books being hard to review. You want to get your point across while not raving like a lunatic. And about the books you dislike, you want to be honest without being nasty.
    Thanks so much for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you did a great job reviewing these books. When people butcher books they aren't crazy about it's hard on the author to read... trust me. These reviews are good. You share your opinion but you aren't cruel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Abbi-

    Thanks for the comment! Coming from an author, it means a lot. So happy I didn't come across as mean.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You posted an honest review. Not all books are gonna strike everyone the same way. I know that from experience. Man, do I ever!

    Keep doing what you're doing. I love your honesty. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are bloggy food. Feed me!

Recent Post